What are My Choices?
The following choices are available in Washington State:
To ensure your choices are honored, Designate an Agent or fill out a Disposition Authorization separate from your will, and share your wishes with your next-of-kin. Do not store your wishes only in a safe deposit box, as it often takes several weeks or longer for next-of-kin to gain access.
- 78% of all Washingtonians choose cremation
- Only one person is cremated at a time, no animals are cremated with humans
- Items may placed in with body and cremated at the same time
- Cremation process takes about 4-6 hours
- Embalming is not required by law
- You can only be buried in a licensed cemetery (not on your own land)
- Cemeteries can dictate size/type of monument
- Washington currently has 5 green cemeteries
Full Body Donation
- Medical Schools - to donate your body, you must register ahead of time
- When the medical school studies are complete, the body will be cremated and can be returned to your family.
- Your donation may be rejected for any reason, so always have a backup plan (cremation or burial).
- As of April 1, 2019 PMA Members receive 15% off of services at Resting Waters Aquamation: Seattle's Pet Funeral Home. Contact them for details and restrictions 206.708.0621.