PEOPLE’S MEMORIAL Association was founded by a group of concerned citizens in 1939 and volunteers have been the backbone the organization down through the years. It has only been in recent years that we have been able to have full-time staff, but the needs are far greater than what paid staff can handle. Our Board of Directors and committees have always been comprised of volunteers from the community.
Providing consumer education is endless and volunteers typically help in the office with answering phone calls from he public or giving educational talks to groups in the community. From time to time we also have special events or projects that require volunteer help. Volunteering with PEOPLE’S MEMORIAL is a great way to learn new things and give back to the community. We have a great staff and a positive work environment even though our office deals with end-of-life issues on a daily basis.
Office Volunteers are required to have the following:
- Competency with basic computer software and internet search ability
- Good telephone etiquette
- Comfort with talking about about end-of-life issues
- Ability to commit to a regular volunteer schedule
Public Speaking Volunteers are required to have the following:
- Good public speaking skills
- Reliable transportation to get to events through the region
- Comfort with talking about end-of-life issues
- Some flexibility in schedule as demand for speakers varies
Once you have signed up as a volunteer, we will provide training regarding funeral consumer issues as well as the specific skills you need to be successful in helping others. If you are interested in volunteering with us, please contact Victoria at 206-325-0489.